Lava rocks, sometimes called black rocks, fire pit rocks, cooking lava rock, barbecue volcanic rock, and cooking igneous rock, are basically a type of igneous rock.
It’s one of the best options for many people for BBQ and grilling, in this article, we will explain what is Lava rocks and why it’s best for BBQ and grilling.
What are Lava Rocks
Lava rocks for fire pits (sometimes called black rocks) are basically a type of igneous rock, and they can be found all over the world and in most countries.
They are formed when magma erupts from a volcano, and the rock temperature is between 1,300 °F and 2,200 °F.
They are formed when magma (liquid rock) from a volcano erupts and is exposed to the atmosphere before it has a chance to cool down or when lava flows into the water.
The best thing about lava rocks is that you don’t typically find any impurities like iron or nickel, making them perfect for barbecuing because those types of materials would turn your food into something awful tasting.
Lava rock barbecue pits give your meat such an amazing flavor instead of using charcoal briquettes for grilling outdoors.
Why Lava Rocks are Best for BBQ and Grilling
1. Lava rocks are much healthier for grilling because you don’t have to worry about any toxins in the food even if the pit is covered with dirt which often happens.
2. Cheap, lightweight, stainless-steel heads that are easier to take on trips which means you can enjoy FOOD anywhere in the world.
3. You get a much better flavor in your barbecue when using lava rock.
4. Lava rocks are much more durable in comparison to traditional coal which only lasts up to 3 hours at max. With this firepit, there is no need for refills or constant supervision of any kind.
If it retains heat well then it will be able to supply you with all the necessary energy needed for cooking your food without taking into account that your fire burns down.
5. It is perfect for cooking steaks because the meat becomes juicy and tender when cooked with lava rocks, unlike cooking on a charcoal grill to dry out your food.
Why You Should Use Lava Rocks in Your Fire Pit
1. You don’t have to keep replenishing the charcoal for temperature control either because all you need to do is wait until the stones are hot enough and then start grilling. No need to wait like with regular coals.
2. If appropriately done, lava rocks won’t burn out as regular coal does. They will expand and become stronger as time goes by, making them more durable than ordinary concrete.
3. Another benefit is that the heat is evenly distributed when using lava rocks, so you don’t have to worry about cold or hot spots, which can occur when cooking with gas.
4. It allows for a hands-off experience. Just set it up and let it do its magic without any supervision at all, perfect if you work long hours or are just too busy with your daily routine.
5. Lava stones are cheaper compared to propane or natural gas grills, but they will get more challenging as time goes by, which means fewer upkeep costs in the future, something worth considering when making any purchase of this kind, I would say.
6. The best thing about them is how easy they are to use, which means you can go out there and have fun with your family or friends without having to work too hard.
7. Last but not least, lava rocks are much safer compared to burning wood for your fire pit, so you don’t need to worry about the dangers of inhaling burnt embers that fly up in the air when using a traditional grill or smoker.
How Much Does Lava Rock Costs
They are typically sold in pallets at your local hardware store, which means huge savings over time.
If your fire pit is big enough, you can even get them by the cubic yard to save more money.
The important thing here is that they are dirt cheap if you buy them in bulk, but just because they’re inexpensive doesn’t mean you should compromise on quality, especially when it comes to barbecue grilling.
Differences Between Lava Rocks and Fire Glass
There’s a lot of confusion surrounding these two things, and most people tend to mix up lava rocks and fire glass, which isn’t surprising since it’s hard to tell them apart sometimes due to their resemblance.
However, there is a big difference between these two things, and you should know about it if you want to get the most for your money.
1. Fire glass is used by some people as an alternative or just as a supplement for lava rocks because it looks nice, but there are a few hidden disadvantages that most people fail to take into account.
2. It has no thermal conductivity, which means that even though it looks great, it’s practically useless when it comes to heating up your food properly.
3. On top of all this, they shatter easily compared to lava rocks, and sometimes the tiny pieces can get in your food which is certainly not a good thing.
The truth is you will probably notice these things if you cook with fire glass, but that’s because it’s pretty new to the market, and people just don’t know about it yet.
Since it’s inexpensive compared to other types of rocks, most people tend to go for it without doing any research beforehand, leading to frustration later on.
When talking about other options such as wood or ceramic briquettes, there are two problems with them:
- They take too long time for them to catch fire,
- And they also break easily, which means many pieces end up in your food as well, making them useless.
This information should convince you that lava rocks are worth looking into if you want an easy solution for grilling meats outdoors.
They can help you avoid bad-tasting foods because of iron deposits.
They provide exceptionally good taste if done right.
They make it easy to cook food hours after starting your barbecue, unlike charcoal briquettes, which tend to fall apart when exposed to the elements for too long.
The beauty of it all is that you can find them in countless different places, but I would recommend calling your local hardware store if you want to buy some in bulk and save more money.
Some people also opt for buying them online, which means they will be delivered to your doorstep in a matter of days, but that’s if you feel like waiting and don’t mind paying extra postage.
I hope this article helps convince anyone who didn’t know about the benefits of using lava rocks.